Monday, May 25, 2009

Your option to get a new cell phone may be causing violent rape in the Congo?

We consumers have options. We can opt for a new cell phone with the latest fad features or keep using our old one (that probably still works really well). This goes for computers and ipods and several other electric devices that require coltan, a metal that predominantly comes from the Republic of Congo, and in its pursuit rape, war, and famine ensue. For an excellent though disturbing documentary on the topic, I encourage you to watch The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo. Or at least check out this CBS newstory.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words cannot express the feeling of horror and shock that I experience from viewing the CBS new story. The pain that have been inflicted upon these women and children is truly horrendous. I also felt anger. Why are these women being torture? They are innocent people who have been unfortunately put in the middle of this war. What makes me even more mad is the thought of no justice being brought to them.These women are left with the emotional and physically bruises, and the men who raped them are not punished. This is absolutely absurd!
    The title of this blog post drew me in. As a consumer, I feel like I should investigate on what areas certain electric devices parts are from before I make a purchase. I usually don't buy new electric devices unless my current one stop functioning. We as consumers should pressure companies to not use parts from countries such as Congo that are exploiting individuals through slavery, rape and other heinous crimes. More efforts need to be done in regards to this current war. These women have no ones to defend themselves against these men with guns and power.
    I feel like I can at least be a more conscious consumer. Yes this may not directly stop these horrible acts to be inflicted upon these women, but I feel like making this type of effort is better than not doing anything at all. Another way I believe that can help indirectly is not throwing out a particular electric device simply because a new one is on the market. A few months later, a newer device will come out anyway..

    ReplyDelete